All applications must be submitted via the online application system. The system will open to accept applications for admission in September 2021 from (GMT +8) 12:00 noon, Monday, 16 November 2020 to (GMT +8) 12:00 noon, Friday, 22 January 2021.
- Please read the Programme Information, Regulations and Syllabuses (current set of 2020-2021), and Personal Information Collection Statement before you create a user account in the online application system.
- Please complete and submit your online application within 4 weeks from the date of the creation of your account or before the deadline of application in Hong Kong time, whichever is earlier. If you do not submit your application by that time, all records you have entered into the system will be deleted.
- You will be asked to pay a non-refundable application fee of HK$300 online by Visa or Mastercard credit card when you submit your online application. If your payment and submission are successful, you will be given an application number after submission of the online application form. Please quote this application number and your full name every time you send us an enquiry or a package of supporting documents.
- The Admissions Committee will begin to review all applications until after the application deadline. In other words, there is no need to submit one’s application early to attempt to secure an advantage. However, the application system would likely be overloaded due to the large volume of applications towards the end of the application period. Applicants are advised to complete their application as early as possible to ensure timely completion of their application.
- The JD Admissions Committee will host an online information session for prospective applicants in December. Please click here for details.
Applicants will be asked to provide details of two academic referees, including their institutional email addresses, in the online application form. At least one of the referees should be able to comment knowledgeably on the applicant’s academic performance and on his/her ability to pursue postgraduate work in law.
[Update on 22 December 2020]
- The online reference system will be ready on 28 December 2020.
- For applications that are received before 28 December 2020, the referees will receive the reference report request by email on 28 December 2020.
- For applications that are received on and after 28 December 2020, the referees will receive the reference report request by email on the same day.
- Your referees will have 14 days to complete the reference report for you. They will receive a reminder email 7 days before the deadline if the reference report has not been completed by then.
- Please note that it takes time for your referees to prepare a reference report. We would suggest you contact your referees at your earliest convenience to allow them sufficient time to write the reports for you.
Subsequent to submission of the online application, applicants are required to submit a scanned or soft copy of the following supporting documents to complete their applications:
- Academic transcript(s) and graduation certificate(s), if applicable (with certified translations in English where appropriate*);
- One personal statement of no more than 600 words;
- One writing sample, which should be an assignment or coursework submitted during undergraduate or postgraduate studies, and of no more than 10 double-spaced pages (font size 12);
- One copy of IELTS / TOEFL test score report(s), if required; and;
- One copy of the applicant’s curriculum vitae (highly recommended).
The Admissions Committee may, if deemed necessary, request you to provide the original or certified copies of your supporting documents for review and record.
All documents, once submitted, will not be returned, and will be destroyed if the application is unsuccessful.
The above supporting documents should be uploaded to the designated website (click here to open) as soon as possible and by (GMT +8) 5:00 pm, Friday, 29 January 2021.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that all documentations are complete. Failure to complete the documentation may result in delay in consideration of the application. An application will not be reviewed and acted upon until it is complete.
* Transcripts, diplomas, and other submitted documents which are not in English should be accompanied by a certified translation in English. Certified translation may be provided by applicants’ home institutions.
We receive hundreds of application packs, academic transcripts, reference letters and IELTS / TOEFL test score results etc. during the admissions period, and we seek your understanding that we are unable to check/ confirm whether all of your supporting documents are received. If the Admissions Committee finds that any of your supporting documents are missing, we may contact you by email. Your understanding would be greatly appreciated.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend interviews during March – April 2021. Depending on the location and the availability of the applicant, he/she may be asked to attend an in-person or a phone/video interview. Applicants who are located in Hong Kong will be asked to attend an in-person interview if the prevailing situation of COVID-19 permits it. Applicants located outside Hong Kong will be asked to attend either, where possible, a video-conference interview, or a phone interview.
Submission of online application: (GMT +8) 12:00 noon, Friday, 22 January 2021.
Submission of supporting documents: (GMT +8) 5:00 pm, Friday, 29 January 2021.
An application will not be reviewed and acted upon until it is complete.
Most applicants will receive a decision by the end of April. Admitted applicants will be required to accept the offer and pay the non-refundable deposit within ten days.
For applicants who have received admission offers from other programmes that would expire prior to our usual notification time, they may request the Admissions Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org for an expedited review with documentary proof of an offer from another programme.
The Admissions Committee reserves the right not to entertain such request.